Internships are a great way to gain experience while working towards your degree. It’s recommended that you complete at least one internship but you should do as many as you can. Many entry-level jobs require experience that can be gained through internships. Not only do you want to have internship experience. You should also aspire to be a great intern.
- Dress the part: Follow the office dress code.
- Volunteer: Volunteer to take on extra tasks as you feel confident to do so.
- Do your best work: Every task should be your best work. Your internship work is work that can be in your portfolio.
- Ask questions: Always ask questions to clarify your tasks and to gain more knowledge.
- Participate: Don’t just show up to be there, be present!
- Learn: You are there to learn. Make sure you are learning something that will help you in your future career.
If you find yourself at an internship that’s not working out, it’s okay to quit. After all the internship should be mutual beneficial.